Become a Certified Drug Test Collector through self-guided, online instruction that can be completed according to the student’s schedule. Successful course completion results in a five-year professional certification.
The Drug Test Collector plays a critical role in the workplace drug screening process. Along with the employer, the testing facility and the Medical Review Officer, the collector is an essential part of a system developed to ensure drug-free workplaces for the sake of public health and safety.
Successful completion of this professional-level, self-guided, online course results in Drug Test Collector Certification.
This course equips participants with the knowledge and skills to perform drug testing according to U.S. Department of Transportation regulations and non-regulated protocols. Certified professionals demonstrate proficiency in specimen collection that is consistent, maintains confidentiality for the donor and guards the security, integrity and control of the specimen.
This course is designed specially to help companies and other organizations avoid having to absorb the time and expense of sending all of their collection personnel to be trained in person. The course can be completed efficiently online according to the student’s schedule.
The Drug Test Collector
As the collector, you are the only individual in the drug-testing process who has direct, face-to-face contact with the employee. You ensure the integrity of the urine specimen and collection process and begin the chain of custody that includes the laboratory; the MRO; the employer; and, possibly, the courts.
This training is a professional-level course that provides the knowledge and skills to qualify Drug Test Collectors to perform U.S. Department of Transportation-regulated drug tests and non-regulated tests. Course participants also have the option of becoming professionally certified after completion of this course. This designation confirms that the collector is committed to the highest standards in the drug and alcohol testing industry.
The Drug Test Collector Course
This professional-level course meets the regulatory standards of U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) rule 49 CFR Part 40 and provides a solid foundation for a wide range of testing programs.
|Library of terms & resources||Universal skills set||Multiple industries|
|Lessons||DOT Qualification||Public sector|
|Short quizzes & final examination||Professional Certification||Private sector|
|Mock collections||Regulated by local, state and federal authorities|
How to Take the Drug Test Collector Course
The Drug Test Collector Training involves multiple parts that need to be completed in a specific order to achieve certification.
1. Before starting the training, the collector must:
- review 49 CFR Part 40 and be familiar with the regulatory language;
- review the DOT Urine Specimen Collection Guidelines;
- review “Instructions for Completing the Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control Form for Urine Specimen Collection”
- watch DOT’s 10 Steps to Collection Site Security and Integrity video.
- and download the sample Custody and Control Form. This form guides the entire drug-collection process. Review the document and have it at hand through the entire course. (All required materials are also available in the Reference Library.) NOTE: The 2017 version of the CCF is no longer current. If you intent to use it, you must attach a Memorandum for Record (MFR).
2. Take the course Pre-Test to show familiarity with the subject matter based on a review of the materials provided.
3. Complete the lessons of the training along with the required short quizzes.
4. Take the final exam. A score of at least 90 percent is required.
5. When you pass the online portion of this training, continue to the Next Steps lesson for instructions on how to set up five mock collections with a live examiner. These must be scheduled within 30 days of course completion and are required for qualification and certification. Mock collections are not included in the cost of the online training.
6. Once the mock collections are completed without error, you will be qualified and can perform both federally regulated and non-regulated drug test collections.
7. To be certified, qualified collectors are asked to sign an agreement promising to adhere to the standards set in the training. The course administrator will then issue a certification form documenting that the collector is both a USDOT Qualified and Professionally Certified Drug Testing Collector. Contact the course administrator for more information.